MSF Hosting Safety Fair for Southern California Motorcyclists on Sunday
Rider Magazine Staff
April 25, 2014
Filed under Latest News
The Motorcycle Safety Foundation is kicking off May’s national Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month by hosting its first-ever Safety Fair this Sunday morning (April 27) at Veteran’s Stadium in Long Beach, California. The Safety Fair is being held alongside the So-Cal Cycle Swap Meet and is free for all current riders, anyone who wants to learn about riding the right way, and even four-wheel motorists.
“People can get great tips on riding, riding gear and bike care through interactive booths and demos staffed by the experts from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation,” said Dr. Ray Ochs, vice president of training systems for the MSF. “The theme of this year’s fair is ‘See and Be Seen’ in order to focus attention on what riders can do to be more visible in traffic. Also, we’re calling on all motorists to be on the lookout for anyone on two-wheels, especially at intersections.”
On Sunday, April 27, from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., safety fair attendees can:
• See and learn from MSF RiderCoaches aboard bikes riding exercises from select MSF RiderCourses
• Hear from Dr. Ray Ochs, vice president of training systems for MSF, about rider safety and the MSF curriculum
• Watch CHP motor officers demonstrate skills they use to handle their police bikes
• Get their personal riding gear rated for visibility and condition by the pros
• Operate the SMARTrainer—a computerized traffic simulator with actual motorcycle controls in order to see, virtually, how important visibility is in the real world
• View the MSF 100 Naturalistic Study motorcycle—a bike outfitted with video cameras and data acquisition sensors used to track the actions of a rider over the course of a year
The SoCal Cycle Swap Meet and the MSF Safety Fair are located at 5000 Lew Davis Street in Long Beach, California. The Swap Meet features more than 500 vendors and 1,000-plus motorcycles for show and sale.
For safety information or to enroll in the RiderCourseSM nearest you, call (800) 446-9227 or visit msf-usa.org.